Around the Venue
FLOPS 2020 will be held at Multipurpose Hall (2nd fl.) of
whose building is located at (the southern part of) the east entrance of Akita Station (3min walk).
To Akita Station
you can go:
- from Akita Airport (the nearest domestic airport) by bus or (shared) taxi (bus/taxi information)
- from Tokyo Station by Akita Shinkansen "Komachi" (bullet train)
(Time Table: From Tokyo,
- You can go to Tokyo Station from: Narita International Airport (Tokyo, NRT) and Haneda Airport (Tokyo, HND), by train (or bus).
Do not get on green-colored cars, but get on red cars; Komachi (red, bound for Akita) is operated jointly with Hayabusa (green, bound for different places) between Tokyo and Morioka station.
When getting on the train, make sure that you are getting on the car indicated by your ticket.
It is not possible to move between Hayabusa and Komachi through inside of the train.
If you get on a wrong car at Tokyo, we suggest to change the car before arriving Morioka station; you have at least two chances: at Omiya station or Sendai station.
Airports connected to Akita Airport
- [international] Haneda Airport (Tokyo, HND) (≠ Narita International Airport, NRT)
- [international] Chubu Centrair International Airport (Nagoya, NGO)
- [domestic] New Chitose Airport (Sapporo, CTS)
- [domestic] Itami Airport (Osaka, ITM) (≠ Kansai International Airport, KIX)
You can find many hotels (and restaurants) in the eastern area of Akita Station, i.e.,
the whole southern area of Senshu-Park.
Also, during the registration site is open, you can book some hotels through the system.
SightseeingKakunodate: We will go here on Excursion.
The town is famed for its well-preserved samurai houses. It is sometimes referred as 'the little Kyoto of Tōhoku'.
- Senshu-Park (Kubota Castle): This large park is located just in front of the Conference Venue, and the Kubota Castle exists in this park.
- Joshitei: a Japanese garden in Akita City (Wikipedia)
- Akita Castle Ruins (Map): You might feel an ancient Japan (Nara period) here, the northernmost frontier of Japan at the time. (Wikipedia)
- Akita Kurasu (Map): You can enjoy very high-quality Sake (Japanese rice wine) at this standing bar in the main shopping floor of Akita Station. There is a menu in English.